09 January 2012

These vagabond shoes, are longing to stray...

The most captivating scene (and personally...the ONLY absorbing scene) in Steve McQueen's, Shame is Carey Mulligan singing New York New York.  In my opinion, it would have been a more unique script, if Carey's character, Sissy had possessed the so called sex addiction instead of her angry brother Brandon, played by Michael Fassbender. The clip above is just a short teaser, but the actual scene in the film is longer and lovely. FYI, Sissy's complete version of the song is part of the film's soundtrack.  When she sings the words "these vagabond shoes" it's heartbreakingly masterful and the way she says New York...it's impossible not to feel that longing with her. . .


Sissy's version. . .

Start spreading the news, I'm leaving today. I wanna be a part of it New York, New York.

I wanna wake up in a city, That doesn't sleep, And find I'm king of the hill  Top of the heap.

These vagabond shoes  Are longing to stray, right through the very heart of it New York, New York.

If I can make it there,  I'll make it anywhere  It's up to you, New York, New York.

I wanna wake up in a city, That doesn't sleep, 

And find I'm king of the hill, Head of the list, Cream of the crop At the top of the heap

These little town blues  Are melting away  I'll make a brand new start of it   In old New York. 

If I can make it there,  I'll make it anywhere  It's up to you, New York, New York.



After Sissy concludes her doleful performance, she chats with her brother's (married) boss. . .see clip below.
NOTE: I love the conversation about living in Los Angeles. That used to be me. . .I was that cute artsy girl with a giant black leather portfolio case, waiting at the dilapidated L.A. bus stops (plural), on my way to those art & architecture classes...hmm, memories.


No comments: